Sunflower Seed Nugget Cookies
The traditional Hungarian Nut Nuggets are often a wedding dessert or Christmas cookie treat. Traditionally the cookies are made with walnuts or pecans. We're giving this classic a slight make over in this recipe. We're scaling back the yield, lessening the dry ingredient ratios and changing the type of nut. This takes nuggets from a nut ball into a mini cookie with roasted sunflower seeds. These changes provide a sweet and salty contrast to the bite. While this sweet treat is also called Mexican wedding cookies or Russian tea cakes, no matter what their called, these puppies are addictive. If you have a crowd, double or triple the ingredients.
PREP TIME: 15 Minutes COOK TIME: 10 Minutes COOL TIME: 25 Minutes
- 1 Cups All-Purpose Flour - 456 Calories
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar - 467 Calories
- 1 Tsp. Vanilla Extract - 12 Calories
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter, Softened - 814 Calories
- 1/2 Cup Roasted Sunflower Seeds (Salted, No Shell), Chopped - 380 Calories
- 1/4 Cup Powdered Sugar (Cookie Dusting) - 117 Calories
YIELDS 18: 125 Calories per Cookie
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- In a large bowl mix vanilla extract and butter until creamy.
- Add flour, 1 cup powdered sugar, and chopped sunflower seeds.
- Mix ingredients with hands until blended.
- Use your hands to roll the dough into balls about 3/4" in diameter, and arrange them on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the remaining confectioners' sugar in a small bowl.
- When the cookies are done, remove from the oven, let cool 15 minutes.
- Then roll each cookie in the sugar until coated.
- Let cookies cool for another 10 minutes on a wire rack or cool baking sheet.
- Store in an airtight container.