Kale and Cheese Power Omelet
Kale is a leafy giant that takes the term healthy seriously and the superstar in this Foxy Cuisine Original dish. Kale is packed with vitamin goodness. It’s also low in carbs, high in fiber, low in calories and even has protein. I am fond of eating raw Organic Baby Kale. But, I love it even more when it’s cooked inside one of my favorite recipes a cheese omelet. ALL HAIL KALE!
PREP TIME: 10 Minutes COOK TIME: 15 Minutes
- 2 Cups of Fresh Organic Baby Kale – 45 Calories
- 2 Large Eggs – 140 Calories
- 2 oz. Shredded Cheddar Jack Cheese – 220 Calories
- 7 Cherub Tomatoes – 22 Calories
- 2 oz. Sweet Yellow Onion – 18 Calories
- 1/2 Tbsp. Canola Oil – 60 Calories
- 1 Tbsp. Sour Cream – 30 Calories
- 1 Tbsp. Half n Half – 20 Calories
SERVES 1: 555 Calories per Omelet
- OMELET: Heat a medium sized non-stick pan on low for 5 minutes. Add the canola oil to coat the pan. The key to this stuffed omelet is to take it low and slow when it comes the heat and patience.
- Whisk up two eggs in a bowl. Add 3/4 cup of kale spread out in pan. Cook kale for 2 minutes. Add eggs to pan. Cook omelet for 5 minutes. Sprinkle a bit for cheese, cook for 3 more minutes before flipping.
- Gently flip omelet. Then add 1 cup of kale to omelet. Add 1.5 oz. of cheese. Cover the pan with a lid. Cook for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Folder over the omelet to lock in the kale and cheese. Cover with lid again and cook for 2 more minutes. Turn off heat.
- SALSA: Mix onion, tomatoes and a few kale leaves in a processor. Blend into a fine salsa.
- SOUR CREAM: Mix the sour cream and half and half in a small container.
- PRESENTATION: Plate omelet. Top with salsa. Add remaining cheese. Garnish with chopped pieces of fresh kale then drizzle sour cream mixture on top.