Bacon, Beans & Onion Soup
This Foxy Cuisine Original is a delicious and hearty Bacon, Beans and Onion soup. Soups are always great for using up items that are near the end of their shelf life. That's how this yummy recipe was born. The beauty of this soup is how very tasty it is and how quickly it develops its flavor. It took about 35-40 minutes from prep to bowl to execute. Check out my video for those who'd like see a quick step-by-step summary.
PREP TIME: 20 Minutes COOK TIME: 20 Minutes
- 2 Tbsp. Lard - 230 Calories
- 3 Tbsp. Cornstarch - 90 Calories
- 1 tsp. Salt - 0 Calories
- 1 tsp. Black Pepper - 6 Calories
- 1 Large Sweet Onion - 105 Calories
- 12 oz. Refried Beans - 408 Calories
- 3 1/2 Cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth - 35 Calories
- 1 Cup Chopped Fresh Green Beans - 31 Calories
- 6 Sliced Cooked Thick Cut Bacon - 480 Calories
- 2 oz. Grated Pepper Jack Cheese - 220 Calories
SERVES 4 - 401 Calories Per Serving
- Cut cooked bacon into 1/2" pieces. NOTE: I microwaved 6 raw slices for 6 minutes on a plate between two paper towels.
- Cut sweet onion in half and then cut thinly or in half moon slices.
- Cut fresh green beans on the bias into 1/2" to 3/4" pieces.
- Set stove to medium low. Place a two quart pot with lid on stove.
- Add lard and allow it to melt. NOTE: You may substitute the lard with vegetable shortening, bacon grease or butter.
- Add cornstarch to pot. Mix cornstarch with lard until it forms a Roux. Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add slice onions to pot. Stir till coated with Roux. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add refried beans, salt and pepper. Stir until blended. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and stir 1 cup at a time until all broth is incorporated into pot.
- Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 12 minutes.
- Add green beans and 4 of the cut bacon slices.
- Simmer for 3 more minutes.
- Ladle into a small soup bowl.
- Top with bacon and pepper jack cheese.